Girls Using Scientific Tools for Opportunities in S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Enginneering, and Mathematics)
GUSTO is a SSCDC (Spruce Street Community Development Corporation) endeavor concerned with providing enriching activities that expose students to—and prepares them for—careers in math and science disciplines. A sibling program to THRUST, GUSTO is an 8-week summer program for girls entering grades 5 through high school, from schools and neighborhoods across Nashville, and offers instruction in math and the sciences through hands-on games and activities. GUSTO gives girls a head start in math and science, while fostering self-confidence and positive peer relationships. The 2015 GUSTO summer program for girls will be held at Spruce Street Baptist Church (located at 504 Spruce Street) from June 8th through July 31st. The full price per participant is only $600.00!
June 6 - July 28, 2016
building on strong and successful years of academic interaction. THRUST & gusto are eight-week (pcsi is six-weeks) programs offering applied/”hands-on” learning experiences which incorporates a deep relationship with a college environment at historic fisk university.
Proposed Classes & Activities
- applied mathematics and science, communications, tools for success, recreation, financial management, and project engineering
- swimming, field trips, sports, guest speakers, current events, debate, pre-engineering, summer reading book talks and journal notes
Programs operate from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.. You can arrive as early as 7:30 a.m. / leave as late as 5:30 p.m.
GUSTO will operate from the Spruce Street Baptist Church at:
- (662) 329-4107; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monday through Friday, beginning June 8th through July 31st
Completed applications including a $25.00 (non-refundable) application fee should be received by April 15th to
better insure placement. Applications thereafter will be accepted until we reach capacity. Space is limited, so applications are considered on a first come-first serve basis. if all spaces are filled, applications will only be accepted for inclusion on our waiting/mailing list.
$600.00 per child for GUSTO; T-shirt and activity fees are included in the tuition. All fees should be paid with a CASHIER’S CHECK OR MONEY ORDER. TO PROTECT ALL, PERSONAL CHECKS AND CASH WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Please make remittance payable to the:
- GUSTO Summer Program for Girls
Payment plans are available, but full payment is due on or before June 30th. (NO EXCEPTIONS)
Participants requesting need-based assistance (only applies to the thrust & gusto programs) INCOME-BASED FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE WILL BE CONSIDERED (DEPENDENT ON FUND AVAILABILITY AND ACCORDING TO SCALE), BUT IS NOT GUARANTEED. WITHOUT EXCEPTION, REQUESTS MUST INCLUDE PROOF OF NEED\ TAX INFORMATION AS REQUIRED.
Speak with a program representative
- Grade level assessment in reading, writing, and math for more than 150 public school students from 5th-12th grade. An individualized approach to addressing their weaknesses is planned and implemented.
- All students receive physical and health education appropriate for their grade level by certified health and physical education organizations, and Forum presentations to promote a healthy lifestyle.
- All participants fulfill their summer reading list; if they do not have one, we provide one.
- All participants are involved in fun field trips
- All students will preview a math, science, and English class that they will be enrolled in the Fall 2015. We tract the performance of our GUSTO participants throughout subsequent academic years until high school graduation and also their post-high school acceptances to college.