The Fisk/University of Tennessee Dual Degree in Science and Engineering (3+2) Program

The Fisk/UT-K Dual Degree program allows a student to earn both a Bachelor's Degree from Fisk with a science major (Biology, Chemistry, Math and Computer Science and Physics) plus Bachelor’s Degree from UT-K in Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering. This is a five year program, with the first three years spent in residence at Fisk and the last two years spent living on the UT-Knoxville campus.

Visit UT's College of Engineering to learn more.

  1. Requirements
  2. References
  3. After Admission

To be eligible for the program, students must meet the general entrance requirement of UT's College of Engineering and be recommended by Fisk. Fisk students transferring to UT-K must meet the minimum requirements stated below to be considered for admission to a major within the UT College of Engineering. These minimum standards for consideration do not guarantee being admitted to the major. The final admission decision for the major resides with the department head or designee.

  • Must have earned a minimum 2.8 cumulative average and a C or better in each of these specific courses: CORE 110 – Communication l, CHEM113 + 103L – General Chemistry l, and MATH 120– Calculus l (and subsequent courses in the three sequences, if taken).
  • If the student has completed any physics course, he/she must have earned a grade of C or better.
  • The overall record will be evaluated for quality and seriousness of purpose. An excessive number of withdrawals, incompletes, repeated courses, or failures may result in denial.

By January 15 of the second semester of the junior year, the student should fill out the proper papers to transfer to University of Tennessee, Knoxville. The student will have all of his or her financial affairs handled by University of Tennessee, Knoxville. This means:

  • The student should have his/her FAFSA information form and PROFILE data sent to UT-K
  • The student will have to get a transfer application from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions from University of Tennessee, Knoxville and make sure that it is marked as a Fisk/UT-K Dual Degree Program applicant's
  • The student has to have a Fisk University transcript sent to University of Tennessee, Knoxville.

While a UT-K student, all of the student's financial matters will be handled through UT-K. The student will pay tuition at UT-K. The student must keep in mind that all bills must be paid at UT-K each semester before he or she will be allowed to continue the following semester. The student will be responsible for making sure that each university has all the required information on them in order to graduate. The most important requirement is that the student must transfer his/her UT-K transcript to Fisk the last semester before graduation. This is necessary so that Fisk can substitute major courses taken at UT-K for the rest of the program electives and cognates needed to meet the graduation requirements from Fisk.